These LiFePO4 (or LFP) batteries are the best batteries you can buy to run small boats and watercraft such as kayaks:
- WEIZE 12V LiFePO4 Battery — 100Ah — $319 (Amazon Prime)
- LOSSIGY 12V LiFePO4 Battery — 200Ah — $619
- WEIZE 12V LiFePO4 Battery — 200Ah — $629
- LPFMax 12V LiFePO4 Battery — 300Ah — $1009
- LiTime 12V LiFePO4 Battery — 300Ah — $1039
- Enjoybot 12V LiFePO4 Battery — 300Ah– IP65 Waterproof — $899
For reference, I can run a platform party boat (12′ by 12′) around a lake using a 100Ah WEIZE 12V LiFePO4 Battery and a Newport NV-Series Electric Trolling Motor. I get about an hour of run time on the lake using this battery.
More Details About LiFePO4 Batteries
There are several advantages of using LiFePO4 batteries for boats:
- Lightweight: LiFePO4 batteries are much lighter than traditional lead-acid batteries. This makes them easier to handle and can help reduce the boat’s overall weight, improving fuel efficiency and speed.
- High energy density: LiFePO4 batteries have a high energy density, which means they can store more energy in a smaller space. This makes them ideal for boats where space is at a premium.
- Long lifespan: LiFePO4 batteries have a longer lifespan than traditional lead-acid batteries. Depending on usage and maintenance, they can last up to 10 years or more.
- Fast charging: LiFePO4 batteries can be charged much faster than traditional lead-acid batteries.
- Safe: LiFePO4 batteries are considered safer than other lithium-ion batteries because they are less prone to overheating and are less likely to catch fire.
- Maintenance-free: LiFePO4 batteries require little to no maintenance, unlike traditional lead-acid batteries, which require regular topping up with distilled water and checking of electrolyte levels.