Compact Fluorescents (CFLs)

CFLs provide the same amount of light (lumens) as standard
incandescent bulbs, but have lower wattage ratings.

A standard incandescent light is very inefficient because much of the energy
it uses is turned into heat instead of light. A compact fluorescent bulb turns
more of its energy into light and less into heat. It uses 75 percent less energy
than standard incandescent bulbs. A 15-watt compact fluorescent system can
supply the same amount of light as a 60-watt incandescent bulb.

The following provides examples of wattage ratings for comparable light output:

Incandescent 40w 60w 75w 100w
Fluorescent 9w 15w 20w 27w

Quality of Light

The quality of light produced by a compact fluorescent is comparable to that
of the incandescent bulb. There is no flicker or hum with a compact fluorescent
— characteristics that are generally associated with fluorescent lights.


Compact fluorescent bulbs last 10 times longer than standard incandescent
bulbs. Compact fluorescents are rated for 10,000 hours and incandescents are
typically rated for 1,000 hours. If you have a bulb that is on eight hours
a day, a compact fluorescent will last 3.4 years. If a standard incandescent
were used, it would have to be replaced 10 times.

Comments 5

  1. Hey deadmousegirl, thanks for spelling mercury in all caps, I think that helps in your scare mongering to show just how dangerous these bulbs might be. Never mind that the amount of mercury in these bulbs are so small as to be meaningless. You mentioned that the vapors could kill you, but you also failed to mention how it can give you every disease known to man including the chicken pox.

    By the way, do you smoke cigarettes? It would be ironic if you did. (By the way, cigarettes contain mercury too, along with all those other nice toxins.)

  2. You fail to mention, as do many folks, that these bulbs contain MERCURY!

    If one of these bulbs breaks, do NOT inhale the vapors, it could be fatal.

    It is illegal in my state to discard them with household waste, as they pose a health threat, and must be recycled.
    But there are VERY FEW recycling places.
    IKEA supposedly will recycle them IF you happen to have a store nearby.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *