Here is a list of the easiest edible plants to grow:
- Garlic greens and onion greens
- Microgreens & Microherbs
- Alpine Strawberries
Mushrooms are very easy to grow, and they are ready to harvest in ten days. They do, however, require watering twice a day.
Mushroom kits are a good way to get started. I like the Mushroom Growing Kit from Blue Farmers.
Other mushroom grow kits available:
- Back To Roots Organic Oyster Mushroom Kit (10 dasy to harvest)
- Oyster Mushroom Kits by Blue Farmers(10 days to harvest)
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom Kit (15 to 20 days to harvest)
- Reishi Mushrooms (60 days before fruiting)
Microgreens & Microherbs
Microgreens are vegetables that have just sprouted from seed. They are more flavorful and nutritious than fully grown plants.
Microgreens are perhaps the easiest indoor plants to grow since they require no soil or nutrients, and they can be grown at any time of the year.
You can use them as a garnish to add flavor to dishes.
Microgreens are ready to harvest in 12-21 days.
A good provider of microgreen on Amazon is Mountain Valley Seed Company.
Other reliable microgreen seed providers:
- Johnny’s Select Seeds
- True Leaf Market
- Kitazawa Seed Company – specializes in Asian vegetable seeds
- Seed Saver’s Exchange
Microgreen sellers on Amazon:
- Mountain Valley Seed Company
- Harley Seeds
- David’s Garden Seeds
- Food To Live
- Dirt Goddess Super Seeds and Garlic Farm
For more information on microgreens, check out these books:
- Year-Round Indoor Salad Gardening: How to Grow Nutrient-Dense, Soil-Sprouted Greens in Less Than 10 day by Peter Burke
- Microgreen Garden: Indoor Grower’s Guide to Gourmet Greens by Mark Mathew Braunstein
- Microgreens: A Guide To Growing Nutrient-Packed Greens by Eric Frank
Mushrooms can be grown at any time of the year.
Onion and Garlic Greens
You can cut green onions and replant them in water or in a container. They will grow back quite fast, and you’ll be able to harvest them again.
Garlic greens grow in a similar way. You can grow a garlic clove in water — just peel off the paper husk first.
Lettuce is easy to grow indoors. It can tolerate low light or bright light. A kitchen windowsill is a fine place to grow lettuce.
Alpine strawberries are much smaller than common strawberries, but they are more flavorful. They are ideal for indoor growing, especially when placed in wall containers.
Mint is one the easiest herbs to grow. It thrives in low light.
Mint does spread quickly. So you’ll probably want to grow mint in own container.
See this book for more information: